Thursday, September 3, 2009

How It Started


When you hear "film school," do images of movie sets pop into your head? Dozens of people dressed in black scurrying about, eating bad food and waiting for the temperamental Spielberg or Scorsese wannabe to scream, “Action.”

I studied film production, and enjoyed it, but what really got me going when I returned to the classroom were discussions about the films themselves. Is it a strict genre film, or some hybrid? What was the significance of the sunset? Maybe the tunnel is just a tunnel? And wow, your explanation makes as much sense as mine.

I miss school, but not the term papers. I miss the research, but not struggling for a good grade. And mostly, I miss the give and take of a great debate. I've decided to indulge myself by selecting an old movie (pre-1990), and telling you why I think it's worth a couple hours of your time to watch.

I might be talking to myself, but that's OK - I still get to talk about film.


No comments:

Post a Comment